The Bowling Club was founded by the Broken Hill Associated Smelters proprietors of the Lead Smelting Works in 1953. The Club joined the North Western Bowling Association in 1954/1955 and has established a remarkable winning culture.
From 1974 to 1985 the club won 12 division one flags consecutively. This record puts the BHAS Club among the most successful in pennants in the State’s history.
The BHAS men have been very successful in Regional Championships and at the Country Carnival winning singles, pairs and fours on different occasions and have had a number of representatives in the North Western Men’s Bowling Association in their Round Robin, Prestige and Kennedy teams.
The BHAS Staff Ladies Section was formed in 1955 and it wasn’t until 1957/1958 that the ladies entered the pennant competition in the North Western Women’s Bowling Association. In 1959/1960 the club won its first pennant and from that point until the present time have won numerous pennant flags.
The ladies have also had a lot of success in Regional Championships and at the Country Championships have played off in finals no less than three times to date.
The club consistently has representatives in the North Western Women’s Round Robin, Prestige Medley and Kennedy Shield teams.